Twelve Days of Chocolate - Devil's Food Cupcakes
The Twelve Day of Chocolate are here! To celebrate and count down to the Brooks Friends of the library Death by Chocolate Bake Sale we will be giving you a new chocolate recipe every day until May 12 to tempt and inspire you. Each of these recipes come from magazines that are currently available for check out from the Brooks Public Library.
Today's sinful delight comes from Martha Stewart Living. You can check this magazine out from the Brooks Public Library or at marthastewart.com
Devil's Food Cupcakes
Yield: Makes 32
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Chocolate Curls, for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt butter with sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, and pour into a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat until mixture is cooled, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla, then cocoa mixture, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and beating until just combined after each.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three- quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 15 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
- To finish, use a small offset spatula to spread cupcakes with frosting.
And remember, the Death by Chocolate Bake Sale is happening Saturday May 12, 10:00am to 2:00pm at the Brooks Royal Canadian Legion. If you wish to donate some of your baking please give Gloria a call at 403-362-3295.