Twelve Days of Chocolate - Chocolate Silk Espresso Pie
We're counting down to the Brooks Friends of the Library Death by Chocolate Bake Sale with the Twelve Days of Chocolate. Every day from now until May 12 we will be giving you a new chocolate recipe every day to tempt and inspire you. Each of these recipes came from magazines that are currently available for check out from the Brooks Public Library.
Today's caffeinated confection comes from Ladies Home Journal. You can check this magazine out from the Brooks Public Library or at www.lhj.com.
Chocolate Silk Espresso Pie
· 3 cups whole milk
· 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
· 1/2 cup granulated sugar
· 1/4 cup cornstarch
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 2 large eggs
· 1 8 ounce bar bittersweet chocolate, chopped
· 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 Piecrust (see Recipe Center), blind baked
· 1 cup heavy cream, beaten to medium peaks with 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Bring milk just to a simmer in a 1-quart saucepan over moderate heat. Remove pan from heat and whisk in espresso powder until dissolved. Keep warm, covered.
2. Whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, and eggs in a 3-quart heavy saucepan until combined well. Add milk in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, until thickened and registers 170 degree F on an instant-read thermometer, about 2 minutes. Immediately pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl (discard solids). Add chocolate, butter, and extract to bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Whisk until chocolate is melted and incorporated. Cover surface with waxed paper and chill until completely cool, about 1-1/2 hours. Spoon into crust, smoothing top, and chill, loosely covered, until filling is set, about 4 hours.
3. Spoon whipped cream into center of pie, sprinkle top with cinnamon and serve.---
And remember, the Death by Chocolate Bake Sale is happening Saturday May 12, 10:00am to 2:00pm at the Brooks Royal Canadian Legion. If you wish to donate some of your baking please give Gloria a call at 403-362-3295.